Chocolate Bête Noir. This flour-less cake is creamy and dark and will satisfy a craving for chocolate without being too messy or overly sweet.
Makes 6 Servings
Total Cooking Time: 2 hours & 10 minutes
- 3/4 cup of sugar, granulated
- 1/4 tsp. of salt, kosher
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract, pure
- 9 ounces of chocolate, dark
- 3 room temperature eggs
- 1 room temperature egg yolk
- 3/4 cup of room temperature butter
- Grease, then sugar 8” spring-form pan. Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine vanilla extract, kosher salt, granulated sugar and 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. of filtered water in 1-quart sauce pot. Bring to rolling boil. Remove pot from the heat.
- Chop chocolate into 1/2” pieces. Place in medium bowl. Pour 1/2 of hot vanilla syrup on top of chocolate. Begin to whisk gently. Add remaining sugary syrup. Continue to whisk till you have a thick and shiny chocolate sauce.
- Add eggs and the egg yolk, one after another, and whisk after every addition. Add butter gradually. Continue to whisk batter till all butter has been blended into chocolate. Chocolate cake batter when finished should be a bit viscous and shiny. It can be refrigerated till baking or baked right away.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Level with spatula. Bake cake for 40 minutes to an hour. Expect the cake to rise and crack and begin developing a glossy crust on top. Center shouldn’t jiggle differently than the sides do. Serve