Chicken Fried Steak Easy Recipes. Dads love this dish, and just regular GUYS do, too. It’s a classic Southern recipe. We serve it with mashed potatoes and creamy gravy.
Makes 4 Servings
Total Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 tsp. of salt, kosher
- 1/4 tsp. of pepper, ground
- 4 x 4-oz. cube steaks
- 1 sleeve of crushed saltines
- 1 & 1/4 cups of flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 2 tsp. of salt, kosher
- 1 & 1/2 tsp. of black pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp. of red pepper, ground
- 4 & 3/4 cups of milk, whole
- 2 eggs, large
- 3 & 1/2 cups of oil, peanut
- For garnishing: fresh parsley, chopped
- Sprinkle kosher salt and ground pepper over steaks evenly and set them aside.
- Combine 1 tsp. of kosher salt, 1/2 tsp. of black ground pepper, 1/2 tsp. of red ground pepper with baking powder, 1 cup of flour and the cracker crumbs.
- Whisk 3/4 cup of milk and the eggs together. Dredge steak in cracker mixture, then dip them in the milk mixture, then dredge them in the cracker mixture once more.
- Pour the oil into medium skillet – NOT a non-stick skillet – and heat up to 360F. Fry the steaks for 10 minutes.
- Turn steaks over and fry for four to five minutes more, till golden brown in color. Remove to wire rack. Keep the steaks warm in oven at 225F. Drain hot oil from skillet carefully, reserving the cooked bits plus one tbsp. of drippings in the skillet.
- Whisk the remaining four cups of milk, 1 tsp. of black ground pepper, 1 tsp. of kosher salt and 1/4 cup of flour together. Pour this into the reserved drippings you left in the skillet.
- Cook on med-high while constantly whisking for 10-12 minutes, till mixture has thickened.
- Serve the steaks with gravy and some mashed potatoes. Garnish with the parsley, if you like.