Beer Bites and Slaw. Vegetables and bite-sized slices of bratwurst alternate in this easy to eat version of beer bites with slaw.
The bites are basted with brown sugar-beer sauce that is a taste treat in itself.
Makes 4 Servings
Total Cooking Time: 1 & 1/2 hours
- 4 tbsp. of vinegar, cider
- 3 tbsp. + 1 tsp. of brown sugar, packed
- Salt, kosher
- Pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp. of red pepper, crushed
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 1/2 cup of beer
- 2 tsp. of soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 onions, medium
- 2 large peppers, red
- 6 bratwurst sausages, fully cooked
- Stir 3 tbsp. of vinegar, 1/8 tsp. ground pepper, 1/8 tsp. of red pepper, 1/4 tsp. of kosher salt and 1 tsp. of brown sugar in large sized bowl till sugar has dissolved. Add the cabbage and toss to coat ingredients. Allow to set.
- Prepare the grill for med-low heat and direct grilling.
- In medium sauce pan, combine the soy sauce, beer, and last 3 tbsp. of brown sugar, along with 1/8 tsp. of red pepper and 1 tbsp. of vinegar. Heat on med-high and stir till it boils.
- Reduce heat and maintain the simmer. Cook while stirring for 12-15 minutes or till reduced to about 1/3 cup.
- As the sauce simmers, cut the sausages, onions and peppers in 1” cubes. Thread them on long skewers. Grill for 10-12 minutes, occasionally turning, till onions become tender and sausages show grill marks.
- Brush 2/3 of sauce over the skewers. Grill for five minutes, turning, till sauce has caramelized. Transfer to individual plates and brush with the rest of the sauce. Serve hot with slaw.